What overflow does is that it creates a "block formatting context". Any
value besides "visible" will work.
I wrote something about containing floats without structural markup [1].
Check the demo page [2] to see how various techniques work and how
triggering hasLayout is very similar to creating a block formatting context.
This technique can even be used as a tool to create robust layouts [3].

[1]
http://tjkdesign.com/articles/clearing-floats_and_block-formatting_context.a
sp
[2] http://tjkdesign.com/articles/block-formatting_context/newBFC.asp