On 12 Apr 2010, at 06:53:46, David Hucklesby wrote:

> This is a demo I made for him. The "view source" is named with a ".txt"
> suffix, and sent as Content Type text/plain. But Internet Explorer,
> alone among my browsers, insists on displaying the two files containing
> HTML as if they were text/html.

This MSDN article
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775147(VS.85).aspx> explains how
Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, chose to break the web because they know
so much better than those who wrote the RFCs. Basically, they chose to assume
that "text/plain" was probably wrong in most cases (which might have been a
real problem around 1997, but not one they should have taken it upon themselves
to "fix" in this way), and instead examine the content to see if it might be
something else. As in this case it looks like HTML, IE ignores the server and
treats it as HTML.

This post on the IE blog
<http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/02/01/364581.aspx> explains that, when
they tried to fix things in XP SP2, they found that the damage they had caused
was so widespread that they had to abandon the fix (despite the fact that this
content sniffing can be a serious security issue). They offer no useful
solution.

This article on the subject from Google
<http://code.google.com/p/doctype/wiki/ArticleContentSniffing> has little to
suggest either.

Sorry I can't help, but with that information perhaps somebody can come up with
a workaround.

Regards,

Nick.
--