> Tom, I think the answer to that is semantics - div has no meaning. Id's are
> there for you to manipulate the look and behaviour, the tags themselves
> offer a way for third parties to glean meaning from the page. e.g you could
> build an overview of a page by grabbing the first bit of text inside each
> <section>, assistive technologies can benefit from knowing what part of the
> page is the main part, header, footer, asdie or google might give greater
> weight to any text inside a <section> etc.

That is definitely one person's interpretation... :)

a 'div' definitely has meaning, ie: it is a division of one part of
the page, from another; whether it is used for other behaviour,
doesn't preclude it from from its original meaning.

Similarly, a #id was originally designated as the location within a
page, not for CSS -> semantically it is to reference a particular
piece of information, within the bigger piece of content, eg: a
"section" header maybe...   It just so happens that it works really
well for CSS too.  And simplifying content manipulation. And so on.

I'm not sure why you would infer that information in section's, is any
more important than stuff written in a div?  Can you elaborate?
ie: assistive technologies can already target div's, so using that
argument needs.... more.

As with all things, use the most appropriate tool for the job.

cheers,
Mathew Robertson