On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Chris Knowles <w...@ckweb.com.au> wrote:
>> a 'div' definitely has meaning, ie: it is a division of one part of
>> the page, from another; whether it is used for other behaviour,
>> doesn't preclude it from from its original meaning.
>
> but when everything is in a div, div ceases to have much meaning. It simply
> says theres a bunch of things on the page that are separate to each other
> without giving any clue as to what they might contain
>
>> Similarly, a #id was originally designated as the location within a
>> page, not for CSS ->  semantically it is to reference a particular
>> piece of information, within the bigger piece of content, eg: a
>> "section" header maybe...   It just so happens that it works really
>> well for CSS too.  And simplifying content manipulation. And so on.
>
> but in the context of the question, the reason to use <header>, for
> instance, vs <div id=header>, is to add meaning to the markup
>
>> I'm not sure why you would infer that information in section's, is any
>> more important than stuff written in a div?  Can you elaborate?
>> ie: assistive technologies can already target div's, so using that
>> argument needs.... more.
>
> I didn't intend to infer that, I was just trying to show how <section> is
> more useful because it can be programmatically accessed in a way that <div
> id=section> can't. With regard to relevance of content, I was just trying to
> say that a search engine *might* choose to weight content in a given tag
> more than in another, whereas if everything is in a div it's harder to do
> this. A better example would have been to have said that the content in
> <article> *might* be more relevant to a search engine than the content in
> harder to tell apart.
>
> --
> Chris Knowles

Just to add onto Chris' email.

This sounds like a good place to suggest people purchase Jeremy
Keith's book HTML5 for Web Designers.  In it he actually describes the
semantics of the new tags and gives defines when and how to use tags
like these definitely pick this book up as it will help clear up the
confusion.

Also as far as <section> goes there is not much difference between it
and <div> as <section> is suppose to be used for grouping of
thematically similar content.  The difference between the two is that
content whereas section does.