On Oct 20, 2010, at 9:11 AM, cat soul wrote

> Please don't groan, but my background is in Print. Luckily, I never had to
> write PostScript. Illustrator, PS, Quark, and later InDesign all do a fine
> job of it.
>

> but just imagine if I DID have to write the post script, and to know
> variations for every single printing device?!?!
>
> IMHO, we need some kind of lingua franca that works for all of these
> electronic gizmos once and for all...
>
> but...things have been set in motion, and perhaps it's going to remain a
> bucket of stinky fish guts into the foreseeable future.

As someone who was in print media, I would say the approach is pretty much the
same (well except the creative part-creative as artistic) if you can get out of
the "print media box".

You may not need to write PostScript, but you need to know how to fix the
PostScript errors (this may no longer needed as it used to be anymore with the
advanced printing technology that we have today): I remembered the days when I
could spent 5 hours layout a 300 pages documentation and spent extra 8 hours to
hunt the Postscript errors that occurred during printing/PDF conversion.
Commanding the essential software (Illustrator, PS, Quark, and later InDesign)
is just as  the same that you need to command markup and CSS, and command it
well.

Fixing PostScript error is like knowing browser quirks, e.g. what to avoid when
you write your CSS; where to look for clue when your layout goes out of whack
in certain browser(s). If you are lucky than I was, you may never have to deal
with PostScript, but the similar goes to colors, paper and printing technique
(none-digital printing), that what color combinations with the right choice of
paper stock can bring up the design etc.

I hated those days I had to stay in the office till midnight fighting with
PostScript errors from time to time, but very so often in my life now as a web
developer, I realized how much I benefited from those days which turned me into
a pretty good problem solver in  solo web development setup.

tee