Mike -
You have put the background color and image under background-image. Why
don't you consolidate all of your backround statements into one:
 #footer {
        color: #d9d9d9;
        background: #333333 url("images/Footer_background_s1.jpg") repeat-x top;
        min-height: 96px;
}
Otherwise, you need to separate background-image and background-color.
Debbie