Just a few thoughts.

It would be better if the keyboard link had an id reference in it.

        <a id="openPopup1" href="#popup1">pop-up</a>

And the associated div had an id:

The close link references the opening link:

Also shift the pop-up off-screen rather than display:none

        #popup1 {position: absolute; left:-500em; top:0}

Or at very least check JavaScript is enabled before hiding it using display:none

        .hasJS #popup1 {display:none}

Add the .hasJS class to the html element like so:

        <script
type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/document.documentElement.className="hasJS";/*]]>*/</script>

Which should be the first line in the head section.

I wouldn't personally use the second non-keyboard method.

Regards

Mike Foskett
http://websemantics.co.uk/