yep, plenty of division ;-)

...but while Sheldon is correct that responsive design can cater quite
well to the most popular mobile devices, there are still a heap out
there that don't recognise media queries or any of the other building
blocks of responsive design. In some parts of the world these more
basic handests dominate internet traffic. If you're targeting the
affluent, western middle class, then you'll probably do alright, but
there are plenty of countries where more basic handsets still reign.

Your specific question, however, was about Accessibility and
Standards. While Standards can be perfectly catered for by a
responsive design, I'm not so sure about Accessibility. Certainly, the
technical aspects of Accessibility can, but there's a wooly area of
Accessibility regarding perceivability that sites can run foul of if
the text and interactions aren't built specifically for mobile. The
most common problem is simply too much text, but there are also issues
around context and mobility that can be better catered for by a
specifically designed mobile site. Probably the best example of this
is a bank or an airline - it's well worth creating a specific site in
their case, because a 'mobile' user quite likely has different needs
and priorities to the desktop user.

It's been said before, but it's more relevant than ever: Know your audience.

It's definitely not for everyone, but if your audience is large, and
your content complex, I think it's worth taking a tiered approach - a
small, dedicated mobile site for the top handful of suitable
interactions; responsive design for the vast majority of adaptable
content; alternative fallback versions for 'difficult' content. In
fact, there's a tier above the dedicated site - the stand alone app -
but that's another argument altogether :-)

And while I've been rabbiting on writing this email Enid has come back
and made a similar point far more economically than I.

--
Andrew Harris
and...@woowoowoo.com