Hi Luke,

This is my first post so hope you find my answer useful

You should consider using WAI-ARIA landmarks

here are couple of link
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/10/using-wai-aria-landmark-roles/
http://juicystudio.com/article/examining-wai-aria-document-andmark-roles.php

Regards
Christos

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Blumer, Luke <luke.blu...@ato.gov.au> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi All,
>
> We are currently in the process of redesigning our website and are looking
> into the "Skip to" functionality.
>
> We are currently considering using:
>
>    - Skip to Search
>    - Skip to Primary Navigation
>    - Skip to Secondary Navigation
>    - Skip to Main Content
>
> We are wondering if there is any information on best practice for the
> "Skip to" function and whether there is a generally acceptable limit as to
> how many "Skip to" links should be used?
>
> We are also wondering whether we should be considering other ways for
> users to navigate around our pages such as AccessKey ***
> http://validator.w3.org/accesskeys.html*<http://validator.w3.org/accesskeys.html>and
>  whether this technique should be used to reduce the number of "Skip to"
> links we have listed above?
>
> Is there any native browser functionality that performs any of these
> functions that we should account for?
>
> Thankyou in advance for any advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> *Luke Blumer*
> Web Project Officer | Corporate Relations
> Australian Taxation Office
> Phone: 02 621*6 2970*

> IMPORTANT
>     The information transmitted is for the use of the intended
> recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally
> privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, disclosure,
> dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
> reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
> than the intended recipient is prohibited and may result in
> severe penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error
> please notify the Privacy Hotline of the Australian Taxation
> Office, telephone 13 2869 and delete all copies of this
> transmission together with any attachments.

Kind Regards
Christos Petrou

"I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual
makes to her or his fellow human beings." - Margaret Mead (1901-1978)

change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret
Mead (1901-1978)

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT
BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL.