The only issue I've found so far is that Safari's implementation of the
date type sucks. It gives you little up/down chevrons which add or subtract
one day at a time. So my working code also treats Safari as
datepicker-not-implemented.

For me, as I make use of the valueAsDate property when it's available, it
made more sense to check its existence directly.

Also, Chrome's date picker is pretty annoying when you're trying to enter
DOBs. As far as I can see there's no quick way to jump forward/backward by
decades at a time.

On 2 July 2012 11:11, Patrick H. Lauke <re...@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/07/2012 01:55, James Ducker wrote:
>
>  element.valueAsDate
>>
>> This property is designed to solve your locale woes, and it is also an
>> easy way to feature-detect a browser's native support for the date input
>> type. I haven't gone through all current browsers yet, so if you do use
>> this method, make sure to check that none of your browsers support the
>> property without implementing a date picker.
>>
>> .valueAsDate, as you might have guessed, returns the input's value as a
>> Date object. Here's a super-simple feature detect:
>>
>> if ( !myElement.valueAsDate ) {
>>     // Implement my JavaScript datepicker
>> }
>>

> You can also simply test if the "type" of your input is reported as
> "date". Older browsers that don't implement the new HTML5 types simply fall
> back to changing them - in the DOM itself - to type="text"
>
> if (!myElement.type === "text") {
>         // fallback
> }
>
> --
> Patrick H. Lauke
> ______________________________**______________________________**__
> re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
> [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
>
> www.splintered.co.uk | www.photographia.co.uk
> http://redux.deviantart.com |
> http://flickr.com/photos/**redux/<http://flickr.com/photos/redux/>

*James Ducker*