Another data point...when the scale goes to max the audio level shows maxed
out too.  But the rig and my power meter only show 10W being produced.
Then without changing anything a subsequent exchange will pump out 90W and
I have to reduce WSJT-X volume back down with the system audio level
showing the appropriate decrease.
I'm going to try monitoring the signal and see if there's some mixing going
on.  Restarting WSJT-X doesn't change whatever the current behavior is.
Seems it gets stuck in some strange state and I can't quite pinpoint what
brings it out of that state or puts it back into it.

RRR
Mike W9MDB