On 16/02/2016 18:47, Joe Taylor wrote:
> Perhaps they had a bit of luck to find a strong signal in the 16 days of
> fully analyzed data (taken between September 12 and October 20, 2015).
> But already in the discovery paper they show evidence of a second event,
> with about 1/3 the strength.  I think it likely that many more such
> events will be found in coming months.  We will soon know.
Hi Joe,

it seems such a large clean signal that I assume even the previous
equipment might have detected it.

I had been following the press on this since the hints of something
interesting a while back. Way back in '76-'78 when I was an
undergraduate studying chemistry at Bristol University UK there was a
gravitational waves detection experiment in the tower of one of the
university buildings, I have a vague memory of attending a lecture about
what they hoped to achieve and have followed progress as a passing
interest since.