George --

I can't test in OS X, so in principle your reports could be especially
useful.

You are building the program yourself.  For diagnostic purposes you
should build the "Debug" version, not the "Release" version.  Can you
start it from a command-prompt window, or run it under gdb?  That should
give you much more useful diagnostic output.  Log files produced by the
OS are seldom useful (for me, at least).

        -- Joe, K1JT