Hi Bill,

Regarding: “
>> Reading the emails on this issue, it looks like a low level USB reset
>> due to I/O errors. And this causes the audio devices to change order
>> or so, right? Then, why do you think it is the Silicon Labs driver
>> that causes this? Isn't that driver only used to interface the CP210
>> UART to USB bridge chip (the serial port for CAT stuff), not the
>> overall low level USB protocol and the audio channels?"

I was not aware that MacOS natively came with the driver for the USB audio.
At some point in the past I was not able to get the audio working till I
installed the Silicon Labs driver and I guess that why I just assumed they also
did the audio part.

Anyhow, I implemented your suggestion here and uninstalled the Silicon Labs
driver, then rebooted.
I then repeated experimentation with WSJTX working through some TX->RX->TX
cycles.

It breaks in a similar manner - after 4-6 cycles, audio out switches to the
MacBook speakers.
And WSJTX then stops receiving completely.
Need to close and reopen - then receive works properly again.

I even tried upgrading to 10.12.4 Beta - makes no difference.

I do not see the 'IOUSBHostHIDDevice: IOUSBHostHIDDevice::interruptRetry:
resetting device due to IO failures’ messages in the dmesg logs any more.

When I run windows 7 within a VM on the Mac, and map the USB port natively to
the Windows VM, WSJTX does not give this problem. It never ‘freezes’ like this.
But its not really usable for me like this since the audio has a slight
‘buffering’ effect with a very small ‘pause’ in the TX audio every second or
so.
Anyhow this does tend to eliminate any issues with my USB port, cable or radio.
Cable + Radio + WSJTX worked 100% on older OS X 10.11 before I upgraded.

Very frustrated at this point….

73’s
Keith