OK,  while running WSJT-X Version 1.8.0-rc 8069, I too now have see a bogus
grid report being sent.

I answered a CQ by W3ARO .

He sent me a report, a Tx2 message, “K1HTV W3ARO OE28”, a bogus grid number,
apparently mis-formated by the software version that he was using.

.

I had switched back to non-contest mode, and turned auto sequence OFF and sent
him “W3ARO K1HTV -05”.

He responded with an apparent free form text message of “K1HTV W3ARO R FN20”
which is a properly formatted Tx3 message.

Apparently, seeing that I was sending a dB report, he switched to the
non-contest format and we completed the QSO.

So, the only bogus grid message that he sent appears to be the Tx2 message.

73,

Rich - K1HTV