Hi Don,

Thanks for your message and your interest in FT8, etc.

We're well aware of the tables of "good CRC polynomials" published by Koopman, though admittedly we have not always used them to best advantage.

Steve Franke, K9AN, did an extensive series of tests with different CRC generators when used with the 75-bit information block in FT8. The CRC12 used in FT8 is slightly sub-optimal, but the resulting increase in undetected error rate is only a factor of 1.6. Since the error rate is already very low, the consequences are not serious.

        -- Joe, K1JT