On 26/01/2018 05:26, Paul Black via wsjt-devel wrote:
And when I can hear it, see it on the waterfall display and it doesn't decode, It would be good to have the option of knowing why. I would like a display showing the data received from the packet and an indication of how far it got through the error correction, decompression and decoding process.

I wonder if anyone else would be interested in this level of detail?

Hi Paul,

that might be more difficult than you think. WSJT-X does give a bit more information for some modes, for example the modes commonly used for EME have a mechanism to display the detection of sync patterns, the first step in decoding a signal, and the "quality" of that sync detection. The MSK144 decoder provides some statistics of the number of frames averaged, the number of bits corrected by FEC, and the coherence of the signal being decoded, but this information is only provided for successful decodes.

In modes like WSPR and those used commonly on HF for QSOs, where multiple signals are being decoded, there would be far too much information to be useful, if for example we listed every decode attempt that yielded no decode there would be hundreds or even thousands of events to report per good decode. In general it is probably only practical to provide a bit of quality information with the successful decodes. The steps you list above are always completed if a decode attempt passes the decoding threshold apart from the critical first error correcting reconstruction step. Before that step the data is just a big number with little relationship to a human readable, or useful, message.

Related to this is one of the decoder algorithms used in WSJT-X, particularly for FT8 and MSK144, that always yields a decoded message which is then filtered for correctness by checking a checksum embedded in the message. So the obvious statistic of checksum failed would occur for every bit of noise, QRM , or birdy that invoked a decoding attempt.