Hello all.  Maybe I am sticking my nose where it does not belong, because I
have not used or studied this fox/hound business.  But when I see many stations
advocating to forcefully block calling a station “blind”, I have to think that
some care is needed.  I have a lot of experience with FT8 on six meters and
there at least two conditions that could be considered calling blind, yet are
justified (I think) and do result in good QSO’s.

1.   I was in a qso and observed a station I wanted to work on another
frequency.  When I finish my qso I do not hear him anymore but I do know where
he was.  So I start calling him (either on his frequency or elsewhere).  Very
often he will come back to me and we have a good qso.  However the software
does not recognize that I have heard him before.  This is evident because even
though I may have seen his grid square, the software does not have it when I go
to log the qso.  This then is calling blind as far as the software is
concerned.  If the same situation can exist with a fox then preventing it would
be bad.
2.   QSB.  In this case I start out calling a station that I was copying.  Then
he fades out before completion (maybe even before I hear an answer).  I
continue calling him “blind” and in a few minutes he fades back in again,
calling me.  And many times I have called for 5 or 6 sequences and then
stopped, only to have him pop up suddenly, giving me a report.

So these are two situations that should not be prevented as they result in good
qso’s.  I agree that if I were to continue calling for 10 minutes without
hearing anything more, then I would be causing unnecessary QRM.  Maybe the
software could have an automatic stop if the fox is calling the same station,
with the same message, repeatedly for a long time, and without decoding any
messages from the hound.

If these situations cannot arise with the fox/hound situation then please
forgive me for “sticking my nose in”.

73 all, Russ K2TXB