Hi, Take. Greetings from Italy :-)

A variable transmission rate would be appreciable indeed but we often
forget that the main purpose of the WSJT-X modes was that of allowing some
reliable amateur communication in the "energy limited" part of the channel
capacity/energy per bit plane given some real channel model.
This is what I understood from Joe's work at least.

Flexibility comes always at the expense of something else: a more flexible
system would not be as optimal, as i.e.FT-8 is, from the energy point of
view as you would need to transmit some more information to instruct the
receiver at what rate the transmitter is using and this takes more energy
than that a fixed rate system requires.
The larger the number of the possibilities a receiver has to understand and
cope with, the least the signal to noise margin is.
If you are not so sure about this fact try to decode a signal in which,
besides the usually unknown time delay between the transmitter and receiver
clocks, besides the unknown frequency offset and drift, you add some other
parameter, unknown to the receiver, which a receiver must necessarily
estimate in order to decode with some success what has been transmitted.

But ok, history doesn't stop in 2018 and I'm not so pessimistic. I think
that we will continue to see something new and possibly even more amazing
:-)

73
Nico / IV3NWV