On 04/01/2019 10:36, Martin Davies G0HDB wrote:
On 3 Jan 2019 at 22:11, Bill Somerville wrote:

Hi Martin,

as always with WSJT-X messages the actual message sent appears with a
yellow background in the status bar while it is being transmitted. In
this case you will see:

<...> G0HDB IO81

which is exactly how it will be decoded by anyone who receives it, so
they will not have a clue what you intended. Sorry.
Morning Bill, thanks for the above.

I just tried sending a Tx 6 message that included the 4-character qualifier
'ZON3' and was
fully expecting to see what you'd shown above so I was a bit surprised to see,
not only in the
Rx frequency window but also in the status bar, that the outgoing message did
appear to be
<CQ_ZON3> G0HDB IO82.

I'll have to try the 'ft8code' utility to see exactly what's being encoded and
decoded!

--
73, Martin G0HDB

Hi Martin,

the version I tested with was a pre-release version and we may have fixed up the print on the status bar. Either way the result is the same as the first part of the message is a hash code, because WSJT-X has concatenated your incorrect directional CQ and made a complex non-standard callsign from it then encoded that as a hash code, that will not translate back to the text you typed into the message. Hash codes here can only be translated back to text if the text that generated the hash code was previously decoded when not sent as a hash. End result is a print at remote stations of:

<...> G0HDB IO82