You won't see the harmonics until you have a fairly good bit of clipping going
on.  They start at a very low level and increase as the clipping gets worse.
Harmonics always exist...
Why can't the manuals simply tell you where 0dB ALC is?   What a concept.....
You want ALC for phone...it doesn't matter there and maximizes your power.  I
think all they did in the manual was copy one section to the other.
Any clipping/compression at all will degrade your signal....even if you can't
see it.
You want 100% level audio (with very few exceptions on some rigs with old audio
setups) coming from computer->soundcard.  You adjust the gain in the receiver
and external soundcard if you have one (Signalink, RigBlaster, etc) to limit
the power.As I recall I've only had one rig where we couldn't get 90-95 watts
with no ALC.
Mike

    On Thursday, June 6, 2019, 9:19:30 AM CDT, Roeland Jansen