On 6/24/19 12:11 AM, Topher Petty wrote:

Hi Topher and all,

GPSD (Linux and OSX should be able to run this) can sync time to the computer from a GPS receiver... I've used that in the past on where internet access is problematic and time sync was critical.

I can confirm that using gpsd and ntpd is a good solution. Running ntpd with a GPS mouse connected via USB and 3 NTP server via a good Internet connection, gave me the opportunity to compare these sources, looking at the ntpd statistics with ntpq.

Some recommendations based on my own observations:

The system needs some time to stabilize, when we expect good results. Looking to the ntpd statistics with ntpq was the way I have used.

The GPS mouse need a good view to the sky, in order to see numerous satellites. Use the GPS utilities to look at the mouse stats.

Don't use long USB hub chains and don't intermix USB2 and USB3.

In the fudge line of the ntp.conf, insert an appropriate value as time1. In my environment, time1 0.265 was as good value for a mouse using the Venus 8 chip. time1 0.180 was a good value for a mouse with an ublox-5 chip.

Not all mice are made equal. With the Venus 8 chip, I got good, stable and more precise values as with the ublox-5 chip.

A cheap USB GPS unit could then be purchased (I've seen them as low as $5 on US sites, and around $2 on alibaba/aliexpress) for that purpose. Plug in the GPS, run GPSD, sync, go.

I cannot confirm that such a quick plug and go strategy give good results.

Best wishes,
Claude (DJ0OT)