Jim,

The point is to DEVELOP skills at the lowest end .... and to ensure that what
we have behaves even more easily than it does for us. The point of these
licenses is to encourage. Some of the behaviour of a few of our own is not
inviting and welcoming; some even believe and sustain arguments that there
should not be Technician/Foundation class licences.

Amateurs are seen "at court" (i.e. by Governments) as a patch of grumpy old
conservatives that look to the past and are not welcoming of change. Comments
from the noisy nutters on social platforms mediums such as (de)Facebook sustain
their assumptions. Some (and I believe quite wrongly) take their work to the
grave and just bitch and grizzle about the smallest of things.

By far the majority of Amateurs subscribe to the HAM Concept (i.e. Help All
Mankind) and are open with their learning;. By far the vast majority help and
work with others. Yet this is the sector that is mostly silent on forums and in
public.

For background, our regulator The ACMA (in their infinite wisdom) just released
changes on Thursday without notice and time for the whole Amateur Community
(internationally) to phase in training and change; there was no time offered
for proofing (and the example that I am about to provide supports this) ....
some aspects of their latest changes are NOT in the syllabi for any of the 3
licence grades i.e. what does "Where the necessary bandwidth exceeds 8 KHz, the
maximum power spectral density from the transmitter must not exceed 1 W per 100
KHz"  mean in legislation?  There is no reference to measuring distances or
equipment needed to guarantee compliance in the legislation nor examples
provided in the explanatory documents to try to get an idea what was in the
Bureaucrats' minds ????

(Please email me back personally if you can answer that question in a form that
can be easily conveyed to Introductory Licensees and I'll use it !!!!)

For the first 24 hours all I and many others have been doing is chasing
"QRA'ers" (i.e. those that insist on stations returning Maidenhead locators)
and Amateurs growling at these entry-level licensees for making mistakes ....
That is what us Assessors and Trainers that are responsible in AR do ! The
responsible ones amongst us work behind the scenes - not using our quals as
"ego lifts" or making us out to be "big special important people" - we guide
and keep our "trainees" under our wings and growl back at the recalcitrant
amongst us to encourage and support those that we have trained and assessed.

There more we can do to make the experiences of entry-level licenses to our
"fetish" (i.e. AR) pleasant - the safer we can make our AR spectrum for all -
the better I say ! The more we can welcome the better I say ! The more we can
simplify for the entry level the better I say !

Then AR may have a chance of surviving in this age where we are seen as a relic
of a bygone era.

Let's close this argument as this is not really a topic for further discussion
on a forum that is for reporting and resolving issues; the lack of further
comment from primary developers suggests that the issue I have raised has been
recognised and will be addressed :-)

73

Steve I
VK3VM / VK3SIR