On 29/06/2020 01:35, Stephen VK3SIR wrote:

Bill,

(From the next release forward) Is it possible to update the “makefile” sections used to build a packaged Windows version to force an uninstall of any previously installed WSJTX version before continuing the install?

As WSJTX installs into the same location with every packaged install users can end up with a long lists of previous versions in Windows “Apps” lists after an uninstall (or upgrade) that lead to nothing …

73

Steve I

VK3VM / VK3SIR

Steve,

we don't do that because users often want to install multiple versions, particularly with RC releases where we recommend just that. The orphaned Apps and Feature entries are harmless and can be removed by uninstalling every version then re-installing just the latest. That used to be automatic in Windows before Windows 10 downgraded the way uninstallers were handled. Prior to Windows 10 attempting to uninstall an orphaned package bought up a message box saying it was not possible and offered to remove it. So it's a Windows regression IMHO and should be reported to MS.

The install script could be updated to make the registry entries install location specific but that's a much more complex change.