Bill,

Ø  we don't do that because users often want to install multiple versions,
particularly with RC releases where we recommend just that.

I will have to correct your “often” to “very occasionally”… although many like
me at the moment are using 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 in parallel !

Ø  So it's a Windows regression IMHO and should be reported to MS.

I have been there and done this in the past with front-line MS people.
Microsoft have a cyclic argument on this subject and have always recommended
that any developer provide uninstallers for previous versions of products OR
maintain a universal compatibility with the previous version of the installer.
Microsoft have stated in a number of verbal comms that I have had with people
that I have trained in there that as “technology leaders” you should be
demonstrating “best practise” in this area when these matters are discussed
with them.

Ø  The install script could be updated to make the registry entries install
location specific but that's a much more complex change.

… yet not that complex (now and with future maintenance) that it is
unsurmountable for a good number of us here in these forums (myself included);
guides to perform this on our own are well documented. For developers such as
yourself bypass switches on builds are also easy to incorporate within the
cmake configuration scripts.

With difficulty of releasing versions and concerns re redistribution of
products that do conform to standards (as you clearly point out often) we have
to come here and ask you folks to incorporate these to-standard changes when
packages do not conform to as mainstream. You cannot have “your cake and eat it
too” on this subject (as we say here in VK).

Having WSJTX as it is now, as a recognised (even by MS) world-leading
technology application, does not provide best practise for the 99.99% of the
community who use your products.

This is a rather heavy and well informed lobby for this functionality - but one
that I believe is necessary not only to assist our users but also to provide
guidance for other developers.

Please reconsider this.

73

Steve I