There are few Arduino based balloon trackers that generate WPSR and APRS signals. There is an Arduino library called JT8Encode which is the software behind some of them. This is the entire signal processing from bytes to RF but easily adapted to insertion at any point in the processing. Theygenerally just filter the synthesized signal for xmit.

I have one in my backyard with a random wire sending WSPR. It's a ZackTek WSPR-TX pico. Also have a tinyAPRS-WSPR unit but not using it. There are some others. The software is open source for most of them.

-73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD*
/Mystic Lake Software/ <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>