On 3/13/2021 5:44 PM, halst...@gmail.com wrote:
*steps carefully*

Because the source of the -RC was released under GPL 3, it is my understanding that they *can* use the code.

I don't see anything in the GPL license that covers seperate rights for alpha, beta, candidate, or final releases of code.

Your call to Section 8 of the GPL requires him to obey Section 5.

It looks like they have released the derivative code under GPL 3 and told people he used code from you on a particular date, thus satisfying the modification requirements of GPL license.

He has also complied with chapter 22 of the guide by putting the required paragraph here:
http://lz2hv.org/node/10 <http://lz2hv.org/node/10>

So, with respect, I am not understanding your message to the group.

Warren

Do you have a callsign?  It's nice to include that on a list like this.

We're not particularly interested in litigating nuances of wording. This is just a hobby, for all of us. We're just asking for fair play.

Christo, LZ2HV, understands perfectly well that our license and copyright terms (which are separate and independent) include a requirement not to publish derivatives of our work before we have published the work ourselves in a GA release. He has flouted that fair-play requirement. Again.

Most people on this list know I'm a scientist, so I'll use a scientific analogy. Copying or adapting our code (which is still in development) and publishing the result is analogous to entering our laboratory when its door was left open, copying the laboratory notebooks found there, and publishing the results yourself before the authors have even finished their experiments. This is NOT fair play.

        -- Joe, K1JT