Hi Phil,

nothing at all. I'm still in debt with you since I looked into your
Reed-Solomon Berleykamp-Massey decoder C source codes twenty years ago
or so  which, along with Peterson's Error Correcting Codes book, gave me
the opportunity to learn something more than I was teached at university.

Sequences are an art, I agree. We spend a lot of time designing new
codes but rather few people cope with details which are as important as
coding.
It's always frustrating trying to solve problems of exponential complexity.
I love to think that we are still at the beginning of the third millennium
and that
some smart guy will solve the issue once for all within some few decades.

I'll give a look to Levanon's book. For what concerns sequences personally
I'm still stuck to an old ARRL handbook about Barker codes or similar
things.
Meanwhile computers speed has increased so much that it's not so difficult
to find an
adequate solution simply by a random search that optimizes some specific
target cost
function.
We know that in this way we will never find the really optimal solution but
if what we
found is already very close to what can be expected from a theoretical
point of view...
well, even if it is not so elegant to say, who cares...
Maybe if we only had some cheap quantum computers and suitable algorithms
for them
we would accept the idea that solutions arising from chaos are as elegant
as those
coming from finite fields algebra :-)

Thanks for the book suggestion indeed.

Nico / IV3NWV