That's why I put 3 definitions of split in there.  It means different things in
different contexts....

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, May 7, 2023 at 11:26:27 AM CDT, Sam W2JDB <w2...@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Mike,

I also hate to keep this going, but since I was part of the fun all the way in
the beginning, what the heck.

Suppose I am on offset 1500, SPLIT is On, Hold TX is checked and I am working
someone on offset 300, so the rhetorical question is, am I working Split?

Change that to my offset 1500, your offset 1450, SPLIT is On Hold TX checked,
same question?

Change that to my offset 1500, your offset 300, SPLIT is Off Hold TX checked,
same question?

Change that to my offset 1500, your offset 1450, SPLIT is Off Hold TX checked,
same question?

Now mind you, my real TX frequency is not shifting and my RX frequency is the
same as my TX frequency, but by all the early definitions in all the early
emails,

and that's going back to when Ver 1.8 first came out, they all would have said,
YES you are working split because you and I are transmitting on a different
offsets.

Change that to I am on Offset 300, you are on offset 300, SPLIT is On, Hold TX
is checked, am I working split? by the early definitions, the answer would be
NO.

The reality is YES, WSJT-X will automatically shift my TX frequency to keep my
audio in the center of the band pass so as to minimize harmonics and keep my
audio

power levels consistent.

The reality is that the original idea for the SPLIT "function" in WSJT-x was to
allow WSJT-X to automatically shift the VFO frequency either in Fake It or Rig
so as to

minimize harmonics and maintain output power levels no matter where you chose
your TX offset. That being said, when chasing that DX, spreading out allows
that

DX station to see who is calling them and choosing to whom to reply as well as
to minimize possible QRM.

One of the fabulous abilities of FT8 and FT4 is to decode overlapping signals
even if they are no more than 1Hz off as long as their time of arrival is
different.

I believe that we have to, or should, think of the word SPLIT with the context
of WSJT-X as unique and different from its classical meaning in the Phone and
CW modes.

73,

Sam W2JDB

-----Original Message-----From: Black Michael via wsjt-devel
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>To: wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>Cc: Black Michael <mdblac...@yahoo.com>Sent:
Sun, May 7, 2023 11:07 amSubject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Fwd: Enhancement suggestion
- 30 second cycles
I almost hate to keep this thread going...but let's try looking at a broader
definition of split using the dictionary type format.
Things do change over time people....

Split (noun)

1.  When the RF carrier TX/RX frequencies are different (e.g. CW mode).
2.  When the AF audio frequencies are different (e.g. FT8 mode with different
offsets)
3.  When the suppressed TX RF carrier is different than the RX RF frequency
(e.g WSJT-X Rig split or Fake it)

Did I miss one?  This is how it all being referred to now.

Mike W9MDB