Sounds like RFI Problems due to noise on the USB cable

Tests
If problems are occurring only during transmit:
    #1 Reduce power to zero and see if the problem stops -- if it does stop
than it is definitely RFI.  You will see certain higher power levels on certain
bands that cause problems.
Then, if problems are occurring during non-transmit periods it indicates a
system problem with USB devices so...
    #1 Check USB Power Management option is turned off on all USB devices
        Device Manager for Windows.
        For Linux set autosuspend=-1
https://docs.kernel.org/driver-api/usb/power-management.html

RFI Fixes:
    #1 Free - Move USB cables to another port -- some ports are more
susceptible than others.
    #2 Free -- Check your grounding system.  rod-outside-the-shack is a common
problem when it's not bonded to the main house ground.
        Common grounding mistakes, sources, and solutions:
        A. Ground rod outside the shack that is not bonded to the main house
ground.
        B. Shack equipment bonded incorrectly (e.g. daisy chained instead of
common ground point)
        C. Desktop computer grounded to the house ground and not the shack
ground.  Run a separate RF ground from the computer chassis to your station RF
ground.
           For a laptop use the retaining screw of a DB9 or DB25 connector
shell, if your device still has them.
        D. Ethernet cables that bring RFI into the computer...which then ends
up going to the rig too since the ethernet shield is tied to the case which is
tied to USB shield which is tied to pin 4 on the USB cable (a very common
problem on most all USB devices -- see my QRZ page).
           Ethernet patch cables up through CAT6 are UTP, which stands for
UNSHIELDED Twisted Pairs, four to be specific.  There is NO separate shield
conductor in the jacket, nor a metallic shield around the RJ45 connector itself.
           Just use a ferrite toroid at each end.
        E. Wall warts -- 24VAC supplies in sprinkler and alarm systems are
notorious for picking up RFI into your electrical system.
           24 VAC transformers can be RF-bypassed using .005 ufd caps from each
output lead to safety ground. You can often use the cover plate mounting screw
as your ground connection.
        F. Speaker wires The same approach as E also works for external speaker
audio leads.
        G. Lamps (yes...lamps around the house have unshielded wires as do many
other appliances).
        H. Washer/Dryers are notorious for generating and picking up RFI.  In
general, newer high-efficiency models have more RF problems.
           Ferrite toroids INSIDE the appliance housing can work wonders if the
wiring harness has connectors in the AC line input, OR an external noise filter
for the AC line cord of a washing machine can reduce RF spurs by 25 dB or more.
        I. HVAC systems with variable speed blower control systems both cause
RF noise and react badly to RF fields -- we believe adding torroids inside the
unit on the power lines will work.
        J. If you use a powered USB expansion hub, add a ferrite toroid on the
cable coming from the USB power supply.
        K. SignaLink -- You can ground the metal box shell by simply wrapping
an 18ga wire (or use a small crimped ring or spade terminal) under the head of
any of the screws holding the rear panel, then connect to your station RF
ground.
           The case is isolated from both USB and analog audio signal grounds,
so this does not affect use of the USB shield isolators.
        L. DC power supply -- both linear and switching -- READ THE PS MANUAL
FIRST!  This step may void some manufacturers' warranty and UL/CSA approvals.
           Remove any jumpers between the DC negative output lead and PS
chassis or line cord ground  Add a .005 ufd cap from each DC output lead to
chassis ground if not already there.
           NOTE: Samlex DC outputs are already isolated and bypassed, but many
others, including Astron, may randomly have the negative side grounded and no
RF bypassing.
        B through L may all need chokes.
        http://www.k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf
    #3 Free -- start unplugging devices around the house and see if there's one
device that is acting as a bad source of RFI.  This presupposes you can easily
repeat the problem on your rig setup.
    #4 Cheap -- Add some USB shield isolators (see my QRZ page).  I use one on
my SignaLink for example.
    #5 Minimal $$ -- Good USB cables like this

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-U023-006-Device-Ferrite-Chokes/dp/B003MQ29B2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11YRNPWDVWGCU&keywords=usb+cable+with+choke&qid=1658187349&sprefix=usb+cable+with+choke%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-5
    #6 Maybe free (if you have chokes...otherwise can get a bit costly) -- add
chokes to USB cables first, then all other cables including power, ethernet,
and control cables.
    Fair-Rite torroids are good quality -- do NOT buy cheap Chinese ones --
https://www.fair-rite.com/product/toroids-5943003801/  You can use clip-ons but
torroids allow multiple wraps and give better results.
    https://www.fair-rite.com/product/round-cable-snap-its-431176451/
    I couldn't find type 31 torroids at Fair-Rite as of 20220721 but Palomar
has some
palomar-engineers.com/ferrite-products/ferrite-cores/ferrite-ring-toroid-combo-pack/
    Newark also carries them
https://newark.com/c/passive-components/emc-rfi-suppression/ferrites-ferrite-assortments?brand=fair-rite
    RFI Problems

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 09:12:55 AM CDT, Gene Hinkle via wsjt-devel