Team,

I've several times observed in the more public forum that "split" was a VERY bad word choice to describe the TX shift devised to prevent transmission of audio harmonic distortion. The practice is great, the word choice is terrible, because it is in conflict with what has been standard use of the word "split" in ham radio for almost as long as I've been a ham (and I was licensed in 1955).

"Split" describes the practice whereby a DXpedition transmits on one frequency and listens for callers in a range of frequencies (usually above his TX frequency), typically 10 kHz wide for CW, 25-35 kHz on SSB), and for at least 50 years, rigs have a button labeled "split." This is NOT what you've written the code to do! It confused the user who asked me for help, and it likely has confused others. It confused me when I first read it, and I understood what you were doing and why.

I strongly urge two changes be implemented. First, on the Settings page where "Split" is used, add in parentheses, "TX Shift." Second, modify the WSJT-X documentation in the same way, and add at least a paragraph to explain that it isn't really "split" in the sense of the practice that has been used for more than 60 years.

73, Jim K9YC

=   =   =   =   =   =

All is well here now:)  You're the Man!
tnx agn
Jim/k2hn

On Monday, September 4, 2023 at 04:23:25 AM EDT, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

On 9/3/2023 11:03 PM, Jim Murray wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> I wonder if I could impose on you with just one thing that's giving me
> fits on the K3s.  Decided to set it up for ft8.  Used k4tax's
> settings:Mic sel - Line in, Data MD- Data A.  These settings using only
> usb cable. I also used his wsjt settings.

I have the several of the original K3, no K3S, so don't know setup with
USB.

> All was going well until I
> messed with some vfo settings I think.  With the original settings
> somehow vfo A and B and split get involved.  After I messed around
> seeing if all could be done with just vfo A I messed things up.

OK. The confusion is WSJT-X's improper use of the word "split." It's NOT
"split" as we hams have used the word for at least 60 years, but the
guys who wrote WSJT-X probably wouldn't know anything about CW or SSB if
it bit them in the ass.

The proper words for what they're doing is TX Shift." What they are
doing is shifting the TX audio frequency in one direction and TX RF dial
frequency in the other, so that the second harmonic of the TX tone is
always outside the TX SSB filter.

You should NOT set the radio for split. Simply set "split" on the Radio
tab in WSJT-X for "Fake it." When you go into transmit, you WILL see the
VFO shift up on TX if your AF tone is below 1500 Hz, then shift back to
the right dial frequency on RX. If your AF tone is 1500 Hz or higher, no
shift occurs.

> Now, tx
> jumps to B and is .50 off.  21.074.00 jumps to 21.074.50 on transmit and
> shows the same on wsjt.  .50 off.  Well, I've spent hours trying to get
> rid of the .50.  Probably touched things I shouldn't have.  I can't find
> anywhere where .50 shows up. I tried changing filter settings etc.
> nothing.  Hate to be a PIA but will no longer do so.  I've learned that
> the k3s does not like messing with settings unless you know what your
> doing:)  Not that all user friendly as some I've had.  But- Rx is
> amazing.  Last night I heard 3 China stations and connected with one
> with 45W into an  endfed, 15M ft8.  My last ftdx10 never heard China no
> less connected with one.

Best K3 settings are for IF bandwidth of 3 kHz, set the waterfall to
start at 200 Hz, set the Bins/pixel to 4. Set FAST AGC, set audio drive
from K3 to computer for decoding so that, WITH SIGNALS, the green bar is
as close to 80 as possible without ever turning red. This gives maximum
dynamic range. You can ride gain on the green bar with the RF gain
control.

73, Jim K9YC