-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the June 13, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

GROWING MOVEMENT IN KOREA EXPOSES U.S. WAR CRIMES

By Sharon Ayling

An international delegation of the Korea Truth Commission 
recently returned to the United States after spending a week 
in south Korea.

>From May 17 to May 24, the delegation traveled around 
southern Korea investigating sites where civilians were 
killed during the Korean War. Out of the 3 million who died 
from 1950 to 1953, about a million were civilians.

Over the past two years, the KTC has sent seven 
international delegations to Korea in an effort to uncover 
the facts about U.S. responsibility in these civilian 
deaths.

The delegation learned that as the United States fought the 
northern Korean People's Army and southern Partisan 
guerrillas who resisted U.S. occupation, it also carried out 
brutal repression of the civilian population. These were the 
people the U.S. claimed it was defending during the war.

At each of the 12 sites that they visited, delegates heard 
people recount their painful experiences as if they had 
happened yesterday.

These witnesses told of being shelled and strafed by U.S. 
fighter jets, of their homes burned to the ground, of losing 
their mothers or fathers, of living with disabling injuries.

The delegates were also shown structural damage to buildings 
and tunnels.

On a beach on the eastern coast of Korea near the industrial 
city of Pohang, 63-year-old Choi Pang Il told the delegates 
of the horror he witnessed on Sept. 1, 1950.

About 1,000 refugees had gathered on the beach a few days 
before. They had come down from the surrounding hills to 
escape the U.S. bombing. They were camped along the shore 
with about 50 of their cows.

Two large U.S. naval battleships were stationed in the bay, 
which today is dominated by the world's biggest steel mill.

At about 2 p.m. that day, a big storm with heavy rains hit 
the encampment. People started running for cover under the 
trees. That is when the two ships opened up with their heavy 
guns.

The U.S. Navy bombarded the fleeing crowd for 30 to 40 
minutes.

Choi explained that since the investigation of the site had 
just begun, only 40 of the people who died had been 
identified so far. One hundred people are believed to have 
been killed. He lost a younger brother and his father in the 
bombing.

'BOLDLY DEMANDING AN APOLOGY'

Yoomi Jeong, KTC leader in the United States and organizer 
of the delegation, spoke with me about her impressions of 
the trip shortly after we both returned from Korea.

"One of the things that impressed me this time was the newly 
gained political consciousness of the survivors and 
families. Previously, people were generally afraid to speak 
and were not sure who was responsible for their suffering, 
especially when the killings were carried out by the south 
Korean military or police.

"Now with the activities of the KTC and the progressive 
movement, more people are aware of the historical background 
to their suffering. Now they are more boldly demanding an 
apology and compensation from the U.S. government," Jeong 
said.

"In April, 'Kill 'Em All,' the BBC documentary on the U.S. 
massacre of civilians at Nogun-ri, was shown on Korean 
national television. It had a big impact on the population's 
understanding and acceptance of what KTC has been saying--
that the U.S. deliberately targeted civilians during the 
war.

"Now many more are speaking out about their bitter suffering 
and they are finally finding a sympathetic audience.

"Another change that I noticed is that the mainstream Korean 
media is giving much more attention to the civilian massacre 
cases. The delegation received wide local and national media 
coverage--newspapers, radio and television. Reporters were 
aware of the issue and seemed genuinely interested in 
reporting on the people's suffering."

A GROWING MOVEMENT

Workers World asked Jeong how this movement is going. "It is 
definitely growing," Jeong replied. "A new group, the 
National Association of Families of Massacre Victims, has 
been formed and is putting forward its own demands.

"And last winter, the 'grandmothers' of this movement staged 
a month-long demonstration in front of the National Assembly 
in Seoul. Every day for a whole month in very cold weather, 
women in their 70s and 80s picketed the government building 
demanding recognition of their suffering."

During the trip, the delegation met with Jeon Kap-Kil, a 
member of the Korean National Assembly from Kwangju. He is 
the main sponsor of a bill on the civilian massacres.

Jeon told the delegation that after the Assembly passed a 
special law acknowledging a massacre on Cheju Island, 
survivors and families got together and demanded a law be 
passed recognizing the many other massacres. The bill now 
covers 100 sites.

The bill would require the south Korean government to 
acknowledge that these massacres occurred and were carried 
out by U.S. troops or south Korean troops under U.S. 
command. It would also recognize the innocence of the 
victims, and require that memorials be erected and annual 
commemorations be held at all of the sites.

Jeon said that getting the bill passed is an uphill battle. 
The Defense Department doesn't want this investigation, and 
officials are very cautious when speaking about the U.S. 
government.

While the military ended its direct rule in south Korea 15 
years ago, it still holds vast power--except for its 
subordinate relationship to the U.S. military command.

"In addition to passage of this bill, the movement is also 
demanding that the Korean government finance the excavation 
of these sites and the identification of the remains so that 
they can be returned to the families for proper burial," 
Jeong said.

Workers World asked what people in the United States can do. 
"We must demand that the U.S. government declassify the 
thousands of Pentagon and CIA documents on the war so that 
an independent investigation can be done--not a whitewash 
like the one the Pentagon carried out on the Nogun-ri 
massacre.

"And, of course, the movement must demand that the U.S. 
government officially apologize for these crimes, compensate 
the victims and their families, and withdraw its troops that 
have continued to occupy Korea to this day.

"It is more important than ever to expose U.S. conduct 
during the Korean War in light of Bush's 'axis of evil' 
threats against north Korea that raise the real danger of 
another war on the Korean Peninsula," Jeong concluded.

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to 
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but 
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact 
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail: 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of 
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)






------------------
This message is sent to you by Workers World News Service.
To subscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send administrative queries to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to