-------------------------
Via Workers World News Service
Reprinted from the June 13, 2002
issue of Workers World newspaper
-------------------------

PALESTINE UNDER SIEGE: 
ACTIVIST TELLS OF ISRAELI TERROR IN NABLUS

By Leslie Feinberg

On May 31 Israeli troops re-invaded the Palestinian city of 
Nablus from three directions. It's no secret. But where is 
the live coverage on U.S. media reports?

Where are the headlines? News of this brutality by 
Washington's proxy settler regime is suppressed.

Tom Koutsoukos told Workers World that independent accounts, 
some of them posted on the Internet, are reporting what the 
U.S. media are ignoring. He explained that the whole city is 
under a shoot-to-kill curfew, as are other cities.

Israeli military officials themselves admitted they had 
arrested 3,000 people in the Balata refugee camp--home to 
some 22,500 Palestinians.

Koutsoukos traveled from Chicago to Nablus on April 10 as an 
international solidarity movement participant, "to basically 
act as a human shield to try to increase the safety level of 
the Palestinians." He explained, "I've always been very 
concerned about the plight of the Palestinians and felt this 
was something I had to do."

Nablus is 3,000 years old--one of the oldest continually 
inhabited cities in the world. The Casbah is the oldest part 
of the city. Koutsoukos recalled, "Someone told me 80 
percent of the city had been destroyed by the Israeli 
invasion. I was able to visually confirm that.

"You can't go anywhere where there isn't just massive 
destruction and rubble. It's horrifying."

Imagine the outcry from the summits of power in the United 
States if the center of Rome had been obliterated.

The Israelis arrested Koutsoukos outside the Church of the 
Nativity in Bethlehem on May 2. He spent 25 days in jail. He 
was immediately deported and banned from returning for 10 
years.

He concluded: "I believe that one of the reasons that the 
last invasion of Nablus on April 2 is not so well known is 
because what happened in Jenin shortly afterwards 
overshadowed it. The infrastructure of Nablus was of course 
targeted and the city was virtually destroyed.

"There were 80 people confirmed killed, including eight 
ambulance drivers. And three of the refugee camps there were 
shelled mercilessly and continuously.

"It was just an all-out, one-way war against a defenseless 
civilian population using the most sophisticated weapons 
available. It was just horrifying. People should know about 
it."

- END -

(Copyright Workers World Service: Everyone is permitted to 
copy and distribute verbatim copies of this document, but 
changing it is not allowed. For more information contact 
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011; via e-mail: 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Unsubscribe [EMAIL PROTECTED] Support the voice of 
resistance http://www.workers.org/orders/donate.php)






------------------
This message is sent to you by Workers World News Service.
To subscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To unsubscribe, E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send administrative queries to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Reply via email to