On 21 October 2011 11:28, Jeremy O'Donoghue <jeremy.odonog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> Sorry for taking so long to respond.

That's okay, long is a relative term!
(Off-topic: Reminded me of this: http://www.schuhmacher.at/weblog/52cards.html)

> On 5 October 2011 00:13, Dave Tapley <duked...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again Jeremy,
>>
>> Did the work on OpenGL, or the branch you mention on darcsden[1] ever
>> get anywhere? I'd like to nominate myself to work on it :)
>
> I never successfully managed to persuade my Windows machine to do a push to
> darcsden. Because there is almost no documentation, this has been hard to
> debug!

Erk, well, the person responsible for darcsden seems to be active and
helpful in #darcs quite often (alexsuraci).

> I am in the process of digging out the old OpenGL support for wxHaskell - it
> was removed a while back due to build problems on some targets. You will
> probably need to add support for wxGLContext, which was never wrapped, but
> the wxGLCanvas code should work provided you link with the correct
> libraries.
>
> I've suggested to Joel that I send a patch with wxGLCanvas support which you
> can put on your Darcsden repo as a starting point. I'll make it compile and
> link for Ubuntu, but I won't have time to check whether it is very complete
> or functional, so you will likely have some work to do before it is usable.

That sounds great, I'm on Ubuntu as well. Don't worry about stability,
it is most definitely a -dev branch!
If you want to throw it in to my repo that would be great, I've added
you to the members list so hopefully you can push.
Incidentally, having just found you on darcsden: I didn't realise you
had a wxHaskell branch on there already (nor kowey), are there things
I should pull in to mine?

>> I've created my own wxhaskell branch on darcsden[2], to which I'm
>> committing all the "wx-2.9 dev build / GTK2 / I don't care about
>> supporting wx < 2.9" patches I've been accumulating over the past few
>> months.
>
> I've taken a look - very good work, and I'd like to complement you for
> taking time to do things properly in every case.
>
> I have put a lot of my 'work in progress' out there, in case it is of
> interest/use to anyone.
>
> The code for building a DLL using the C++ compiler (i.e. which went with the
> blog post on the subject) is now a Gist at git://gist.github.com/1301115.git

This might be exactly what I need.
In fact we may each have written a part of the solution...
I saw this in your gist: "186: TODO: Does not do dependency resolution
properly".

Well I approached the problem the other way, I have some code which
will do the dependency resolution!
Here's a diff: http://hpaste.org/diff/52917/52918

Admittedly it does require you to have GCC installed, it uses the -MM switch:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Invocation.html

But then I got stuck on linking it with cabal (which, perhaps you solved?):
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/cabal-devel/2011-October/007816.html

> The work in progress for 2.9 support is at
> https://patch-tag.com/r/jodonoghue/wxhaskell-branch/home - please note that
> this code is not very clean at all - I will gradually merge cleaned up
> versions of anything you haven't yet done into your 2.9 branch.

As I said, pile it all in to my darcsden repo, and as per our previous
emails I'm abandoning support for wx < 2.9, so don't worry about
adding in ifdefs and the like.

Dave,