On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 15:03:28 +0100, maciek.makow...@gmail.com wrote:
> There is indeed a claim in wxHaskell FAQ that it is incompatible with
> Haskell threads. I have, however, used threads spawned with forkIO to
> update wxHaskell GUI in toy apps, without any ill effects. Examples:
>
> http://mmakowski.com/wiki/tech:haskell_mvc
> https://github.com/mmakowski/habaz
>
> I'd be interested to learn how the incompatibility can manifest itself
> -- if there indeed is any.

It's worth noting this entry from the wxWidgets FAQ:

  wxWidgets (like most GUI toolkits underneath it) is not thread-safe, and
  handling of GUI components should always be done exclusively in the main
  thread.

This doesn't stop you from doing the non-GUI stuff in other threads
though.

Was interested to see that the wxHaskell mutable var is just a TVar
(from STM?)

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>