I haven't updated haskell platform to newest, but I would find it
strange if the old version stopped working. If you merely had to
rebuild wxhaskell, the issue might be that 0.9 and 0.13.2.1 target
version 2.9 by default. Wx-0.13.2.1 can be configured to use your 2.8
installation. I roughly outlined the process in previous post.
http://www.mail-archive.com/wxhaskell-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01139.html

As a side note, most of the mysterious cabal build errors I get (on
windows 7) are fixed by running
set LANG=C
in cmd before compiling (or setting it as permanent environment variable).

Installer would indeed be very nice, but it takes a lot of work to
create and maintain universal installer and it would currently benefit
only a handful of  people. I'm guessing the majority of wxhaskell
users are fairly savvy developers, so it would not seem worth the
trouble. That of course quickly becomes self fulfilling statement
since it will actively drive away people who have no interest in
fiddling with the nuances of the installation process. They may give
it a try, but fail and give up and you never hear from them.

I will devote some time on this if I end up using haskell on more
projects. Most people who wish to use wxhaskell are not likely to
participate in its development, but at the same time people are less
willing to develop a library with only few users. Haskell platform
itself is pretty much single click installation, and it is very easy
to get started with. Ideally that should be the case with every gui
toolkit as well.

Antton