Hi Steve,

It is very nice to hear a confirmation from you that you and others in this
network are carrying the torch and are committed to maintaining this great
tool set.

Since I am new here, let me tell you what we're doing.
We have been developing a freeware tool
<http://irp.nih.gov/our-research/accomplishments/procedures/procedures-and-therapies/nlm-scrubber-paving-the-road-to-big-data-by-securing-patient-privacy>
whose user base is clinical scientists.
Currently, our tool has a command line interface and requires an ASCII
configuration file to be edited.
Other comparable software packages are either commercial and very expensive
or freeware like ours but require a lot of overhead (installing a bunch of
other software packages plus licensing plus maintenance).
We want to keep ours as simple as possible so that it can be used by every
clinical scientist who wants to do research using clinical reports without
breaching patient privacy.

For this reason, we chose ActiveState, of which PDK enables us to wrap
everything into a single executable package, available on three common
platforms (Win, Linux, Mac).
Given that we are a very small group of developers under a huge
organization, we also try things easier at our end and when necessary pay
some premium for it.
Up to this point, we have not installed any CPAN packages manually, rather
we waited for ActiveState to test them and make them available via PPM,
their Perl package manager.
This way we do not have to deal with package dependencies and their
maintenance.

We provide Mac version of our software in order to reach clinical
scientists who are most familiar with Mac or work in Mac environment only,
but we are not as familiar with Mac environment as we are with Linux and to
some extent with Windows.
So, long story short, we have not tried to install any Wx package and do
not plan to do so until they are available by ActiveState for all three
platforms.
ActiveState attempts failed in all three accounts, two of which are related
to their timeout windows <https://community.activestate.com/node/18630>.
And one of them (Windows version) could not be installed due to an issue
related to Alien::wxWidgets, but I just saw that that particular issue has
apparently been resolved and Windows version is right now available
<http://code.activestate.com/ppm/Wx/?_ga=1.65076974.1131807206.1451921858>.
Hooray!

Since at least one version is working, I hope ActiveState would extend the
timeout window in order to make the other two versions would work as well.

Thank you,

--mehmet
PS. I will keep you posted if and when ActiveState tests Mac and Linux
packages with extended timeout window.
PPS. I am moving my post from (Re: wxPerl Infrastructure Support Issues) to
the current thread so that your infrastructure discussion would not be
hijacked by this.