Once in a while I get error reports from users of my [older] software like this:

I recently upgraded to El capitan and realised today that EXPGUI is now caput.
It briefly appears after double-clicking the app, then within seconds
evaporates.

It usually takes me a little while to remember the problem: OS X has been
updated but XQuartz has not been reinstalled. Is there any way for future
releases that XQuartz could fail with an error message under such circumstances?

Brian