Well, 256MB RAM it's what they used in city of Treuchtlingen. Loading
images from local drive it's not an option, if you have about 200
clients which are located kilometers away from each other. NFS-TCE is
nothing else than simple debootstrap loaded from NFS with some scripts
to launch X2Go Client. Should be no problem to anyone who has a minimal
knowledges about NFS-Root, DHCP and TFTP. It took me just a several
minute to migrate it from Wheezy to Stretch. Didn't work out of the box
because some files were moved in Debian from one package to another.

regards
Alex

Am 18.05.2018 um 11:32 schrieb Stefan Baur:
> Hi Alex,
>
> I don't want to start a battle either, but I think a side-by-side
> comparison would be nice so users know what to expect and thus what they
> should pick for their intended use.
>
> Back when I tried to follow the installation instructions, they were for
> Wheezy only.  Attempting to run the same installation steps for Jessie
> failed (Stretch wasn't released back then), and there were no obvious
> error messages pointing me toward what I should fix/change.
> Which, to me, is an indication that TCE-NFS has lots of "hackish" parts
> that need to be altered with every new major Debian release to make them
> work again.
>
> I would also like to know what your minimum hardware requirements for
> TCE-NFS are.
> Even though TCE-Live has the option to run from a RAM disk, it is by no
> means mandatory.  I just booted an i386 stretch build of TCE-Live
> (without the "toram" parameter) from USB and it shows approximately 69
> MB of RAM used in idle, and 76 MB RAM used with a fullscreen session and
> pulseaudio running.  I have to admit that this doesn't seem to be the
> whole truth, though - actually reducing the RAM on the machine to 128MB
> caused a kernel crash right while booting.  With 256MB of RAM, it boots
> up, and runs a session - though it's obviously slow because it can use
> almost no RAM as buffer/cache.  But I doubt that would be different with
> TCE-NFS ...
>
> Kind Regards,
> Stefan Baur
>
> Am 18.05.2018 um 11:07 schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:
>> I don't know why you should have troubles with it. The installation
>> procedure is described in the Wiki step by step. You can use TCE with
>> very simple hardware which is not powerful enough to run TCE-Live. And
>> you can make changes in NFS-Root even without restarting thin clients. I
>> don't want to start battle "NFS vs Live" here. Everyone should decide it
>> for himself. For me TCE-Live is not a substitution for NFS-TCE. And it's
>> basically not a Thin Client System by definition. It's more a live image
>> system, IMHO.
>>
>> regards
>> Alex

>>> ... as long as someone is actively maintaining it.  If you have
>>> customers paying for it, or you volunteer to maintain it, fine.
>>>
>>> But I'm not happy with keeping a TCE-NFS in git that works on, say,
>>> Debian 9 only, when Debian 10 or 11 becomes/is the stable release.
>>>
>>> I'm curious to learn about the "lot of advantages" of TCE-NFS.  Go ahead
>>> and list them, please, so we can put them in the Wiki and create a
>>> side-by-side comparison between TCE-NFS and TCE-Live as a guide for
>>> potential users, so they know which version is right for them.
>>>
>>> My personal experience with TCE-NFS was horrifying, that's why I started
>>> TCE-Live.  But maybe it is just a serious lack of documentation of
>>> TCE-NFS that made Debian-Live feel way easier to me ...

> [...]

Oleksandr Shneyder        | Email: o.shney...@phoca-gmbh.de
phoca GmbH                | Tel. : 0911 - 14870374 0
Harzstr. 4                | Fax. : 0911 - 14870374 9
D-90491 Nürnberg          | Mobil: 0163 - 49 64 461

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl.-Inf. Oleksandr Shneyder

Amtsgericht München | http://www.phoca-gmbh.de
HRB 196 658         | http://www.x2go.org