[SOLVED]

I figured out what the culprit is. This is an older system and the intent
to purge was based on the assumption that some old config or other
depricated element might be still hanging around. So doing this here:

apt purge x2goserver x2goserver-common x2goserver-dbgsym
x2goserver-extensions x2goserver-fmbindings x2goserver-printing
x2goserver-pyhoca x2goserver-x2goagent x2goserver-xsession libx2go-log-perl
libx2go-server-db-perl libx2go-server-perl

Fixes it. It removes all traces of x2go from the server, only when you
especially mention each and every one package and purge it does it work,
for example the users are contained in the x2goserver-common package, if
you just do a purge of x2goserver alone, that leaves most things still on
the system.
This gives you the possibility to wipe the slate clean and install it like
it was a brand new linux install.

Thanks for your assistance in solving this, I use X2go every day on my
server and was pretty lost without it.

Markus

--
*Por sperto kaj lerno ne sufiĉas eterno.*