* On 3/28/19 10:40 PM, Ingo Brückl wrote:
> I tried "custom desktop" and simply gave "sh /home/me/.xinitrc" as an
> experiment. Everything shows up like my local desktop with two exceptions.
> Xterm is a very small window with small font in it (as if my X resource
> XTerm.VT100.font: 10x18 would be ignored or 10x18 is some other font) and
> xdosemu.
>
> The above holds for starting without VcXsrv's font directory. When I enable
> the directory and put my 10x18 font into fonts/misc, I get the same small
> size window, but now with my (too big) font in it. Glyphs overlay.
>
> It seems that the wrong size font is used to calculate xterm's window size at
> start-up.

Try to copy your ~/.Xresources file to ~/.Xresources-x2go . There's a good
reason why we decided not to use the "normal" ~/.Xresources file, but an
X2Go-specific one. Users set weird things in ~/.Xresources (that were fine for
their local X sessions, though), but ran into that when spawning X2Go sessions.
Hence we're just using a custom file and don't even make use of the more general
~/.Xresources file.

There are multiple caveats, though. Firstly, this file is only
read/executed/whatever for full desktop sessions. Secondly, the actual method of
how this is done differs from OS to OS. On Debian (and derivates), we just set a
variable that is handled by the usual X11 scripts (/etc/X11/Xsession and
friends), while on RHEL (and derivates) and *SUSE (and derivates) we merge both
the system file and the user file manually.

Since you're using a completely different OS... well, full desktop sessions
might just fail to start up to begin with because our Xsession script will
probably not find a release/version file to determine what your OS is based on.

> (BTW, how could VcXsrv run when I removed its font directory as an
> experiment? Where do fonts come from?)

Good question. Generally VcXsrv should still run mostly correctly. Maybe some
fonts will be substituted with a default, ugly, built-in font. If I don't
remember correctly we don't have fonts installed by default, so users would
probably have spoken up if that had caused a lot of breakage.

The whole fonts business has gotten pretty complicated anyway, since most
applications (unlike older ones like xterm etc.) rasterize fonts themselves via
cairo and output that as either bitmaps or other X primitives, which means that
the original X fonts mechanism aren't widely used any longer.

Mihai