> I disagree.  A Service is a Collection augmentation mechanism
> and may be
> exposed with multiple implementations of the same interface
> depending on
> which collection it is augmenting, which would especially be
> important
> for servers whose underlying data model is aggregated from a
> variety of
> sources.  To say that it shouldn't be associated with individual
> collections makes it much more difficult to implement.

One of the main problems I have with this concept is that in X-Hive we
can not do anything related to persistent data without a transaction
being active. This is a very fundamental issue for us, that we can not
change. So there is no way in X-Hive to retrieve a collection without a
transaction being active, but in the current API it's not possible to
get a transaction service without having a collection. So for us this is
yet another chicken/egg problem related to the services being tied to
collections.

The above might count as an implementation issue, and not so much as a
conceptual (you can argue about that), but furthermore I see some other
problems. For instance what if you want to make changes to several
collections and these changes need to be atomic? Logically these changes
then all need to be done within the same transaction, but when
transactions are bound to a collection this seems not to be possible.

I think that the essence is that in the current API the collection
interface is behaving like a database. One example of this is that you
authenticate when accessing a collection. I think it would be more
logical to authenticate when you access a database.

Regarding the argument that its important for servers whose underlying
data model is aggregated from a
variety of sources: I think that this would count as an implementation
issue :)

I think its has much to do with the way you look at it. If you design an
API having the concept of a database, that can have multiple
collections, then it's not logical to tie services to collections
(independent of where those collections get their data from). If you see
the collection as a database in itself than this might my logical, but
then their shouldn't be something like a database interface because that
makes thing confusing.

Kind regards,

Arno de Quaasteniet