Having though about it some more I see a typical chicken/egg problem for
creating the first collection... am I right about that?

Besides that if your database doesn't support sub collections retrieving
the CollectionManagerService from a collection seems a bit illogical.

(something more or less already mentions by Dare, but I looks like you
didn't see it as a real problem)

Regards,

Arno