Tom's posting from June regarding a fixed version of Proj.4:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:58:52 -0600
From: Tom Russo <ru...@bogodyn.org>
To: Bob Nielsen <n...@clearwire.net>
Cc: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir@lists.xastir.org>
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 howto now on Xastir wiki

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 01:01:20AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of
the <n...@clearwire.net> flavor, containing:

On Jun 27, 2009, at 7:08 PM, Tom Russo wrote:

Just a warning.  This doesn't impact Xastir directly, but does
impact *anything*
else that uses proj.4 (QGIS, GRASS, or GDAL tools).  If you build
proj.4 from
source, you also need to build libgeotiff from source -- otherwise the
package management system will install the broken one anyway.

How about installing proj.4 using 'checkinstall'.  That way the
package manager should recognize it and not install the broken version.

Oh yeah, I always forget about that.

If one were to configure --prefix=/usr and use checkinstall then this would
probably work.

Apperently there's a PPA that has a fixed version of proj.4:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable

if one is less inclined to do source builds or mess around with checkinstall.
This was pointed out in the launchpad bug relating to proj.4.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation