Thanks for the info on ax25. I was able to (I think) get it connected to my modem. Have no idea if it's working yet, but at least it put the tnc into kiss mode. Have no idea how to test it yet, but that's not why I'm writing this.

I downloaded the latest source and did the bootstrap.sh and configure steps. In the INSTALL file, there are only two manditory dependencies. I have satisfied both of them and the ./configure command kicked out some warnings but completed. However the make failed almost immediately. Should this work on Ubuntu 8.04?
Thanks,
Jim.