Hi Liz...the message that  Dave has mentioned was probably mine
i installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a computer that had Ubuntu 12.04 and was showing problems... when i installed Xastir in the upgrade o/s i found it worked ok but couldnt get the OSM maps to come up...after nearly tearing my hair out i decided to change from Imagemagick to Graphicsmagick....
that was the trick...no more map problems
dont know why the problem as i was using Imagemagick under Ubuntu 12.04
ok.....funny things happen with distros

73 David VK4BDJ