From: Jason KG4WSV
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 10:17 AM
To: Max Harper; Xastir - APRS client software discussion
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Autostart Xastir

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:28 PM, Max Harper <kg4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Following the instructions at the provided link, I made the changes. It
> works, but with a twist. This machine runs AX.25, LDSPED, APRX and Xastir.
> It has a monitor connected but is normally used like a headless machine. I
> normally use SSH to make changes and VNC if I want to see Xastir. I can run
> most any aprs client on my PC or laptop and have it connect to LDSPED and
> see everything that the TNC sees. Since VNC doesn't actually show the
> console desktop, after a reboot I always had to VNC in and then start
> Xastir. At that point the console display would still show a login prompt.
> After making the change to the .config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart file I
> rebooted. The console was showing a login prompt as expected. About 20
> minutes later when I used VNC to remote into the system I was looking at
> the desktop with Xastir running. But I could tell that it had been running
> for awhile because Xastir was displaying a full map full of stations and
> that takes awhile to populate. How did it know to run in the GUI session
> that only VNC uses? I'm not complaining because I always had to start
> Xastir manually before. I don't know what will happen if I login at the
> console and do a 'startx' to bring up a desktop. If it also starts Xastir
> then there would be two instances running. Can Xastir do that without
> coughing up a hairball?

[ i don't know what ldsped is, so factor that in as you read]

last question first, I'm pretty sure xastir assumes it's only running
once.  Multiple copies will definitely fight over server ports, serial
ports, etc. if you have those configured. IIRC I have ran multiple copies
using different config files, although I don't remember why I thought that
was a good idea at the time; it's been a while.

As far as VNC goes, there are multiple ways to use it.  One way is to
remotely connect to the graphical desktop that's on the physical console,
and view and/or control the physical console remotely.

The other way is to create a virtual console (without affecting the actual
desktop console) that is only visible to VNC.

If we're still talking about pis,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/vnc/README.md has
some instructions for each method.

Since the instructions are for the user "pi"s desktop configuration, the
command will be executed for every desktop session, so yes your assumption
is correct - xastir will start a second copy on the physical console if you
run a desktop session there, and it probably won't work right.

If this is a system that you sometimes use when you're in front of it, and
sometimes remote in to, I'd probably use the VNC configuration that
connects me to the existing physical desktop instead of creating a virtual
desktop.  Of course that mean you'd need to restore the standard graphical
startup and autologin (which I assume isn't there, since you mention
startx).

-Jason
kg4wsv