On Wednesday, 4 September 2013 13:00:47 UTC+2, Bruce D'Arcus wrote, on
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pandoc-discuss/-SajbqoPX8k:

>    Yeah, I'm saying that a journal is (should be) really a collection, as is
> a book series, a legal code, etc.

>    But let's move this to the CSL venues.

I dont't actually think so. Monographs and journals are conceptually
on the same level: they are the major independent bibliographic units,
most bibliographic conventions dictate that their titles (and only
their titles) are italicized, etc.

Thus, I do not see a problem in continuing to use "container-title"
for journal titles.

Some journals do include series information, but this is conceptually
very much unlike book series information: For journals, this is
typically of the form "New series", or "2nd series", and indicates a
subdivision of one journal, and appears immediately after the journal
title, and in databases sometimes even as part of the title. It seems
CSL does not have a variable for his kind of information yet. The CSL
variable "section" comes close, but not quite.

Upshot: I do not feel existing title variables ("title",
"container-title", "collection-title") would need to be changed; it's
only that one that is missing so far ("volume-title") needs to be
added.

Variable names of course, could be reconsidered. Even "volume-title"
is not ideal since in the context of an article it would rather mean
"issue-title", but for the sake of simplicity this could prabably be
accepted.