> On 13 Aug 2016, at 23:42, Dale Miller <dalelmil...@centurylink.net> wrote:
>
> I have the following statement in the init method of my major class:
>       [NSApp setDelegate:self];
> I get the following warning from Xcode 7.3.1
>       Sending ‘UnicodeIndexBuilder’ to parameter of incompatible
> type'id<NSFileManagerDelegate> _Nullable
> All of the NSApplication.h files i can find on my Mac (OS X 10.11.6) read as
> follows:
>       - (void)setDelegate:(id)anObject

Did you #import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h> ?

With that import,

-(instancetype)init{
    self=[super init];
    if(self){
        [NSApp setDelegate:self];
    }
    return self;
}

compiles nicely.

> I’ll admit I’m way behind the power curve knowledge-wise since I’ve been
> stuck for various reasons on 10.5.8, but I find the new Xcode to be almost
> incomprehensible. I can edit code to make changes, but I keep getting
> messages from .the XIB editor about buttons not being standard size or a view
> clipping it contents, but I can’t figure out how to edit the individual
> widgets.

The new Xcode integrates interface builder, and has new mechanism to update the
layout of the graphical objects when the windows are resized, based on the
specification of constraints (on the object sizes and relative positions).
Those constraints are checked by Xcode interactively, and while compiling the
XIB files.

I would advise you to redo all the user interface specifications using those
new facilities, creating a storyboard.
This would represent some work, but now that most of the early releases bugs in
these facilities have been corrected, they let you specify the user interface
geometry more easily than with the previous mechanism.  Also, it's the same for
iOS, so you'd be updating a useful skill ;-)

> I keep getting queries about which SDK to use, but there are no files on my
> Mac with SDK in the name. I’ve also been unable to get any docs beyond a
> previous release of Xcode.

Perhaps you're using the old project file.
Actually, it might even be a good idea to recreate the whole xcode project from
scratch.
The SDK specifies two things: the target, and the version of the target.
For the target, since you have a MacOSX application project, the SDK name will
be macosx
I guess that just setting the OS X Deployment Target for the project (and
perhaps for the application target too), the whole SDK parameter will be reset
and you'll be able to compile without this warning.

The SDKs are stored in /Applications/Xcode.app (all the /Developer files went
into this application bundle).
You can list the available SDKs with the command:

        xcodebuild -showsdks

--
__Pascal J. Bourguignon__