Good day.

I'm Pablo Lezaeta and I have a question related to the correct icon to
be used in case of genericity.

I was tracking Xfce desktop and noticed they change the generic name
for mail reader from the default app menu from "internet-mail" to
"emblem-mail" [0] because the former was not compliant with the
specification, yet I point the new icon was also not compliant use of
an emblem icon type.
They point that there was not a "generic mail" or something to use in
these cases yet I point that Budgie desktop use "generic-mail" but from
certain point that they say was also non compliant [1] since generic
type was not defined on the now version 0.8.90 of the specification
[2]... so

The question is what the proper name in case of needing a generic mail
(or other app) icon?

Links:
[0]
https://git.xfce.org/xfce/exo/tree/exo-open/exo-mail-reader.desktop.in